Interactive Biographies Using Neatline

I recommend using this map in Fullscreen Mode.

This interactive map contains extensive biographical information of 57 German clergy members who were incarcerated in Dachau Concentration Camp.  This interactive map contains 14 blue dots, each one at the location of a "Bistum," or Catholic diocese.  Clicking on this diocese displays the biographical information for a selected number of clergy members from this diocese who were sent to Dachau Concentration Camp.  This map serves as an interactive introduction to the topic of this project; for this reason, I have also embedded it in the Abstract & Historical Context page.

The biographical information displayed has been combined from two sources:  the original CSV file provided to me by Dr. Ehrenreich and the two-volume book Priester unter Hitlers Terror:  Eine Biographische und Statistische Erhebung.  I extracted the biographical information from the latter source (which was in physical book form) by scanning, OCRing, and cleaning the text.  This process was described at length in the Datasets section of this exhibit.  The "References" field listed for each clergy member is the collection of references listed for the specific clergy member in Priester unter Hitlers Terror:  Eine Biographische und Statistische Erhebung.  Note that because much of the reference material is in German, portions of the biographical information on the clergy are also in German, rather than English.