Data Acquisition

Screen Shot 1.png

Screenshot 1

Screen Shot 3.png

Screenshot 2

Screen Shot 2.png

Screenshot 3

Screen Shot 4.png

Screenshot 4

Screen Shot 5.png

Screenshot 5

Screen Shot 6.png

Screenshot 6

Screen Shot 7.png

Screenshot 7

The first stop in my quest for data was ArtStor, a database of artworks that lets one compile a folder of relevant images and import it all at once together with all the relevant information instead of having to download each file individually. As one can see on Screenshot 1, I started by opening the image group titled “Digital History” and then selected “Download Image Group (Zip File) as demonstrated on Screenshot 2.  After I downloaded a folder titled “Digital History” from ArtStor, it ended up looking the way it is shown on Screenshot 3. Later, I exported the citations about all the paintings at once as demonstrated on Screenshots 4-5: Tools --> View and Export Citations --> View and Save Citations in Export Format, and the result ended up looking as it does on Screenshot 6. However, thinking that the citations would be easier to transfer to FilemakerPro if their list is in form of a chart, I ended up converting the imported file into Excel and making it look the way it does on Screenshot 7.

While ArtStor only provides images, the largest chunk of my data, namely the information about the artworks and their patrons, comes from the list of books and articles below. Although not every item in the bibliography below addresses a specific painting, they have all contributed to my understanding of the subject and aided me in the compilation of my final dataset. I have previously included this bibliography in the introduction, but this seems to be a more appropriate place for it.